Vehicle on Hire Certificate


Who needs a Vehicle on Hire Certificate?

UK motorists traveling abroad in a UK registered vehicle must carry its original Vehicle Registration Document (VRD). If your vehicle is hired or leased, the hire/lease company will not usually release the original VRD. The Vehicle on Hire Certificate is the normal alternative, which can be carried by the driver in lieu of the original VRD.

How do I get a Vehicle on Hire Certificate?

An application form for a Vehicle on Hire Certificate is available for you to download and print out below. Please complete the application form and send it via post to the address on the form or email to:

You need to include the following:

•A photocopy of a letter of authority from the hire/lease company giving you permission to take the vehicle abroad. You need to personally contact the hire/lease company for the necessary vehicle details and letter of authority.
•The correct fee of £8.00 for each Certificate. Special delivery can be arranged at an additional charge of £6.95 if you require your VE103R within 2 working days.

A Vehicle on Hire Certificate is valid for 1 year.

Please note, information is correct at September 2013 but is subject to change without notice.

Download the VE103R application form (21KB)

Please be aware that we can no longer accept applications by fax. Instead, please complete the form and scan this and your letter of authorisation and email it to:

If you have difficulty in printing the form please call RAC Travel Sales on 0870 165 0979 for assistance. Please note, to view the form you will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don’t have this program already, you can download one by clicking on the logo below.

Opening hours

Monday to Friday: 08:00 – 19:00
Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays: 09:00 – 17:00


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s